Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Blog Post #14 (Special Assignment)

For our special assignment, we were assigned to reread and interpret Don't Let Then Take Pencils Home.


1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
Mr. Spencer uses a metaphor of pencils to express some teachers feelings of computers and technology. I think I misunderstood this metaphor because it was in an article, where for me, the sarcasm is hard to grasp. If I had heard it in a video or recording, I think I would have understood it quickly.

2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?
I had not encountered any, so I used Google to search for a few.
~"You are my sunshine."
~"He is a pig."
~"Time is money."
~"It's raining cats and dogs."

3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
If we use them regularly, then I think a student will be able to catch on quicker when they see or hear a metaphor. Along with using worksheets, allow the children to make up their own and explain it to the class.

4. Why do we use metaphors?
I believe we use metaphors to create sarcasm and dramatize the story. For example, "it's raining cats and dogs" gives more effect of it's pouring outside than "it's raining". It allows people to give more laughter and humor to the situation but with others knowing that it's not literally raining cats and dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment