Friday, February 18, 2011

Blog Post #5

Eagles' Nest and Class Blog
Visit them here

Eagles' Nest: Roamin' with the Ancient Romans
I specifically listened to Episode #3 about "Roamin' with the Ancient Romans". The children seemed very interested in the Romans they discussed. When the kids are into it, it helps the audience pay closer attention. I thought the class did a very good job. I wish schools would of had this when I was in elementary school. If the teacher takes something that could be found boring, and makes it into a fun activity, the children will not only be interested, but they will remember it for a long time.
All of the mp3 audios were very educational and worth watching. Children are so fun. Most kids don't care what they're doing, as long as they can have fun with it. If they get to play dress up and do the talking themselves, they're going to be excited and into it.


The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom by Joe Dale
See this video HERE

Podcasting in the Classroom
This is an excellent video for why teachers should incorporate podcasting in the classroom. I'm not sure if podcasting is right for every teacher or for all age groups. However, I think if your students have trouble getting into a certain topic, you should consider putting them into groups and letting them make their own podcasts.
The teacher and principal in the video recommend this for teachers, students, and parents. It's great for teachers to record their lessons or assignments so if the student misses a day or the parent wants to know what's going on in the classroom, it can be at their fingertips. If you take the time to invest in it, I think you will be well pleased with its benefits.


The Education Podcast Network
View website HERE

Education and Podcasting
As teachers, how do we know what to podcast and what to keep in the classroom? How can we use podcasts without going overboard? The Education Podcast Network gives educators the opportunity to share and search for ideas on what podcasting is and how to use it to their advantage.
The website gives you varying age groups and subjects. From elementary to high school and from visual arts to healthful living, the EPN is here to help. Teachers can use this as a tool to show their children how a podcast works until he/she feels the students are ready to make their own.

All of the above sources helped me learn that when I teach something that is new to me and the students, don't be afraid to look for help. These websites are terrific for learning how to teach and perform podcasts.

3 comments:

  1. "I'm not sure if podcasting is right for every teacher or for all age groups. " Why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, I'm Dana Johnson and I really enjoyed reading your post. We have some of the same feelings towards podcasting. I think podcasting is good to learn. My mom works at an elementary school and she comes home telling everyone how smart the kids are and how they are able to work on the computers and these are kindergarden students she's referring to. I was so amazed to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda,

    I agree with what you said about podcasting not being right for every teacher or for all age groups. I think as with everything there are exceptions to the rule. Just like with the Smartboards, some teachers are not going to like it or utilize it correctly. There are so many new and creative forms of technology out there to be used in the classroom that I think somethings are going to work for some teachers and students and some are not. A teacher is going to have to find out what works best for her and her students.

    ReplyDelete