Monday, January 31, 2011

Summary Post C4T #1



Spencer's Scratch Pad: Reasons I Love Teaching: Poetry: "The students groan when I first introduce poetry. They fail to recognize that we've been doing poetry all year, scattered throughout scienc..."

I read John Spencer's blog about teaching poetry. He discussed how poetry can have so many different topics. Any one can find a poem to fit them or their situation. He said his class defines the metaphors or what's being personified and the basic literary terms, but he tries to teach them to see how poetry "becomes a safe place to engage in dangerous dialogue."
Poetry opens the classroom up for topics that are not usually discussed. Mr. Spencer gave the example of a poem that brought up abortion. Poetry gives a freedom that you wouldn't normally have. I asked him in my comment, how can we as teachers create a fun way to teach poetry? It's not an easy topic but if we encourage the children to read it and understand it in a way that can be related to their lives, maybe we can instill a desire to read poetry more often.


Spencer's Scratch Pad: The Love of Science: "I once had a science teacher who told me that scientists had disproved the existence of God - or at least the existence of a theistic God. ..."

This is a very intriguing post. It really made me question why I believe what I believe. I believe God created the heavens and the Earth. I don't understand the Big Band Theory and Evolution. I try to have an open mind because I try to live a Christ-like life, one without judgments. I want to spread the Good News, but in a way without talking so much. If I can live a life that is honoring to Christ, then I think I've proven my God.

Babies are such an inspiration for science and history. They make us question why and how. What other God could know me before I was ever born and create me in His image? I cannot necessarily prove God either, but to me when you know something is real, you know. No question about it. I always appreciate a post that is of value and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment